Hi everyone, I thought that was a good title for a cold February day. But actually that’s what I’ve been working on and I hope everyone else has had a great week of stitching too. I’ve been as busy as a bee in a sunflower patch 🙂 and was burning the midnight oil to get the latest project done. I had a little trouble deciding on how I wanted these sets of placemats to look. I knew the designs I wanted to use but it was the arranging on the fabric that had me stumped. I think the best when I’m knitting and its not a wonder why some of the socks I knit aren’t 6 feet long lol But like all good inspirational ideas, they just pop in my head lol.
This is what I came up with for the bright beautiful sunflower designs. I used a large spray on the right side of the place mat, its about 9″ long and a sunflower circle design for the toaster cover.
The sunflowers are stitched on a navy and tan gingham . Since the fabric is a light polyester I used a medium weight tear a away backing and I always use spray on temporary fabric adhesive. When assembling, I used thin quilt batting and a solid navy for the under side of the placemats and inside the toaster cover. I used a light tan prairie cloth to make a bit of binding and the piping. I even threw in a couple of bread clothes from extra fabric I had in my stash.
I like to serge the layers of the toaster cover together before I sew them. This holds everything in place while assembling the pieces.
Next was the black and white gingham set, assembled in much the same way. I used a primitive rooster design on a small panel and sewed the gingham around it. The design on the toaster cover was meant to be a colourful vintage design but I stitched all the blocks in the same colour (dark charcoal) .I used a solid black fabric for the piping and on the backs of the placemats and inside the toaster.
Once I got started with the embroidery machine I just kept going, pulling out scraps for sew outs and well you know how it goes. 🙂 I’ve been wanting to try something of a logo just for fun and I came up with a few variations using purchased design and the Hyperfont program with the embroidery machine.
I tried a couple of them out on an old T shirt I have just for that purpose and then on a piece of denim. Myself I like the logo with the needle and thread at the front the best.
Although the spool of thread is really cool, it makes the design area too big.
While I had the T shirt in hand a tried a couple more new designs. I love the girl flying with the bird. It’s called “flight of fancy” from Urban Threads. But I’m going to rename it DeeDee for sentimental reasons and stitch it onto another shirt 😉
Then there is this fun design for the front of a T shirt. I think a little young for me lol but it is cute. I tried it on a white T too. Just things I wear around the house lol
The next sew out was a new design from another site that I don’t usually buy from but I liked the primitive country theme and have a couple of people in mind who may like it. I was very pleased about the results. It looks like its hand sewn, very neat. And it’s looks quite good on the tan prairie cloth.
I love it when my fav sites have sales, because I bought some airy and lacey designs. One was this heart shaped words. I wanted to stitch on something different and looked through my stash and found this lovely flannel left over from a chenille blanket.
Using tear a away backing I got it hooped up and picked 3 colours I thought looked nice with the flannel. Brought the heart design on up the screen of my laptop and click send to machine ! This is such a great program and embroidery machine. The program displays each block you are about to stitch. And you can change the colours on screen to give you an idea of what the finished project will look like. This design took and 30 to 45 minutes, I wasn’t watching the clock closely :), it’s not recommended to use hobby embroidery machine at top speed. So I set the speed for medium, it really depends on what kind of design you are stitching and the fabric you are stitching on.
( note to self to work on a post about machine embroidery 101 😉 )
Finished results ! I cut the fabric in the shape of a heart and sewed it together that way. Actually I’m not 100% happy with it :). I should have made it into a neat 12 inch accent pillow but it’s done and I hope the recipient likes it.
Oh I’m not finished yet! I hope you got your cup of tea for this post lol
When I purchased the heart and words design I found this adorable doily design. It’s stitched in 3 colour blocks. I wanted make something to match the the chenille blanket I made for my daughter so again I went through my stash and there was a piece just big enough for what I wanted to make. This was a single design, in the program I can copy and paste to get two doilies, I resized the second one so it would fit in the hooping area. I love making accent pillows, they are the right size to cuddle with and read a good book and the tiny bird pillow should make a cute shelf sitter.
I think the embroidery machine got a very good work out this past week or so and I think I’m as bad about buying embroidery designs as I am about buying yarn and fabric lol so you have a good idea what I have to choose from when it comes time to do more stitching lol.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my show and tell and
Thank you so much for dropping by….happy stitching. Izz