This one has been a while coming and a bit longer getting posted. When spring and summer bloom my thoughts are usually outside in the yard and garden. So I thought I would take the opportunity to cool down from the heat and post the pictures of the blue paisley quilt. One of my favourite patterns is paisley, and I love the colour of blue these fabrics are in. A little like a washed denim. A little pale yellow thrown in and a line of golden yellow with blue stars, a washed out damask pattern, a cloud grey with more paisley. I fell in love with all of them and knew right away the project they would become. I had been paging through a quilting magazine a couple of weeks prior to the purchase of these fabrics and saw a pattern called “Romance”.
I have a hard enough time choosing the fabrics I want to use and once I’m home with my huge pile of blues and yellows
I have to decide which will be the main block and which is the strip and borders .
It took a couple of tries not including changing my mind a time or 2 … like that ever happens 🙂
the photo below was my first attempt, I wasn’t happy with the combinations.
I eventually got it sorted out. Decided on the border and had enough of the darker blue left for the binding. I tend to do that, decide on one thing while I’m at the fabric store, think I have enough and start second guessing my ideas, and by the time I get home I’m in a panic because I may not have enough fabric to make the changes I want to.. arg! why do I do that?
81- blocks 5 1/2″x 8 1/2′
162-strips for the blocks 2″x 8 1/2″
4-corner blocks 8 1/2 ” square
52 strips between each block (times 4)
not to mention the borders and binding
The finished size is approx. 94″ x 94″
when the blocks and strips are sewn together they make a 8 1/2 ” square
Fast forward to the next step, I used the cloudy grey with blue paisley and the larger blue paisley print as the backing fabric. I also used a natural bamboo blend for the batting, that was very nice to work with. Lots of safety pins, and taping (masking tape) the backing down to the floor so the layers wouldn’t slide around. The old knees were hurting after that.
I put the embroidery foot on my machine and stitched in the ditch, or at least as close as my eyes will let me 🙂 Then I used tear-a-way backing that I had traced a purchased embroidery design onto (this also took much decision) my hands aren’t steady enough and I don’t have enough practice at free motion quilting , but I was determined to get it done. I had luckily seen a tutorial on the web about using tear-a-way backing when practising free motion quilting. I loved the idea ! It was time consuming to tear off but well worth it. Of course the design I used to trace on was perfectly named ” paisley seaweed”
My lines aren’t always straight but I am very happy with the results. I made sure that I had 2 extra metres for the pillows cases. An idea I had seen in another quilting mag. and loved. It adds such a nice touch especially if you are giving the quilt as a gift.
Thanks for “tuning in” …good night 🙂